Rio de Janeiro/RJ - The Ford Foundation Brazil Office is recruiting a Program Officer, Freedom of Expression for your Education, Creativity and Free Expression Program
- Substantive experience in the field of communication in Brazil;
- Appropriate educational background (an advanced degree in communication and/or social sciences is preferred);
- Significant professional experience working with a range of civil society actors and with public and/or private communication sector;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize program ideas and develop innovative strategies;
- Demonstrated analytical, writing and organizational skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with colleagues of diverse backgrounds and perspectives;
- Fluency in Portuguese and English is mandatory.
- The Program Officer will be responsible for:
- Designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating a portfolio of grants addressing issues relating to media rights and access as well as advancing public media services in Brazil.
- S/he will strive to promote a media environment that demonstrates balance between freedom of expression and media regulation and that ensures symmetry of opportunities for citizens and groups generating, disseminating, and acquiring information.
- S/he will be expected to evaluate current strategies against the changing context of the media landscape and identify new priorities for the future in close consultation with a broad range of activists, civil society representatives, government officials, scholars, public policy analysts and individuals from the private sector.
The current priorities of the work in this area are:
- Consolidation and expansion of the field of communication rights, strengthening the capacities and the autonomy of civil society organizations and academic centers in this area.
- Promotion of an institutional architecture that prioritizes efficiency, efficacy, transparency, and accountability of formal bodies responsible for elaborating, regulating, and implementing media policies.
- Efforts to strengthen capacities and the role played by the public media systems.
- Efforts that reinforce an investigative culture in journalism, specially the one practiced by the public and alternative media.
- Expansion of the presence, legitimacy, and opportunities of Afro-Brazilians, indigenous people, and women in media companies, as well as mobilization processes to promote and defend the right to communicate.
The Program Officer is expected to develop and maintain close working relationships with existing and potential grantees, and with leaders in governments, research institutions, philanthropic organizations, private sector and civil society; identify potential grantees; solicit, review and respond to proposals; recommend and monitor grants and evaluate programming; and offer support and guidance as needed to actual and potential grantees. The Program Officer will contribute to defining the Brazil office’s overall strategic direction, seek opportunities to cooperate programmatically with other organizations and the other portfolios of the Brazil Office, collaborate with colleagues in other Foundation offices to support regional and global networks and initiatives, and play a leadership role in the field.
- Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
- Target Date: September 2010
- Salary is based on experience and on the Foundation’s commitment to internal equity. An attractive benefits package is provided.
To apply for the position, visit this site.